Monday, October 29, 2012

Apple Season!

 
This weekend I took a trip up to Oak Glen, CA to go apple picking! I love this time of year...even though it's still warm, there is just something in the air that feels like fall.
 
After searching for the most perfectly shaped, delicious looking apples we could find...I went to my trusty cook books to find some fall inspired apple recipes. I narrowed it down, and wanted to share one with you- Homemade Applesauce!
Unlike many applesauce recipes..this has no added sugar so you can feel good about spooning it over waffles, vanilla frozen yogurt, pork, chicken..or just eating it as is!
 
 
 
-10 apples peeled, cored, and chopped-
 we picked Rome Beauties, you can use any good baking apple
-1 large strip of lemon peel
-1/2 Tbsp pumpkin pie spice
-1 cinnamon stick
1/4 cup water
(optional...I always add because I love it a little sweeter) -Squirt of honey or maple syrup
 
Add all ingredients in a large Crock Pot and let cook on low setting for about 6 hours.
 
You can leave it like this if you like applesauce a little chunky, or you can mash for a thinner consistency. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment